
I finally got it. After all these years of wanting - thinking surely everyone else under forty must have one but me and seeing undisserving twelve year-olds getting them for brushing their teeth - I finally obtained one. My friend mentioned that she won a new ipod and I took that moment to pounce on the opportunity to ask her what she was doing with her old one. After talking with her about price, checking with my wife, going back and looking at it, and talking with Shelly some more, I am now the proud owner of a 8 GB 3rd Gen Ipod.
And why did I need one so bad? Well I needed something to listen to when I jog or when I walk around campus - I figured in addition to music, I could download conference, NPR shows, audiobooks - all those praiseworthy and good report things rather than just listening to the thoughts in my head (boring). But gee, what did people do in the olden days when they jogged? Well for one they didn't need to run because they were already in shape, and there is no #2.
Just the same, it is interesting to think about what a spoiled society we've become. Until the 1950's the world has never seen such a wide distribution of wealth. In the decades since we have seen a middle class that has become accustomed (addicted might be a better word) to a certain way of life, with our kids getting hit the hardest. Christmas, ironically our Savior's birth, seems to be the biggest battleground for consumerism. So how to choose the perfect toy without spoiling your kids? When I see people who don't seem to make much more than me, spend more on one child than I allot for my entire Christmas budget, it baffles me.
However, with that said (and no this is not a paid advertisement) we have decided on the perfect toy. It's a Plasma Car!!!! We took our kids to the toy store on Saturday to get a taste for what they like. And this one was a blast and got great web reviews. The cheapest we found it was about $50 (and with shipping even more), but it get's kids moving, last for years and captivates their interest for more than 24 hours. Hurdles few Christmas toys seem to conquer - I'm looking at you glow in the dark remote control car. Needless to say, doesn't Julianna look cute on a rocking horse she is not going to get? (yeah right the thing is $75 - might as well get her a real horse; and after riding for a lengthy period she still couldn't tell us the upcoming winners of the horse race) But you can picture my boys riding on Plasma Cars Christmas morning.
P.S. The Wiggle Car is a lot cheaper, but cannot support an adults weight - I'm only thinking of them.
Okay, my kids get an obscene amount of presents for Christmas, but I hardly spend anything. Having two sets of divorced/remarried grandparents=4 sets of grandparents and LOTS of gifts. I do wish I could find more toys like the ones I see at preschool. If it has batteries I do not want it. Those plasma cars are hilarious. We play on them at Learning Express but I know my kids wouldn't actually ride it after 3 days so I have never bought one.
ReplyDeleteAlso, Seth's work had a drawing for a really nice I-pod last year and since Seth was the only one who didn't already have one they all agreed to just give it to him. I would never use one myself but it is pretty cool. He has his scriptures and lesson manuals for Young Men's all on there, plus the Internet. How did we survive with nothing more than a walkman?
Jimmie,
ReplyDeleteThe world has created no single great thought since the inception of electronic entertainment.
BK
Congrats on your new ipod. I like your thoughts about not overindulging our children. I have seen those plasma cars in motion and they do look pretty cool. I am sure you (I mean your boys) will love them.
ReplyDeleteI agree! I don't spend much on Luke at Christmas, but he is still young enough to amuse easily and on a budget. I'm sure it gets harder every year.
ReplyDelete