The pilgrims first winter in America was a tough one, they didn't have enough food, they weren't use to winters that cold, and consequently many of them died. So you can imagine the second Thanksgiving may have been more heartfelt than the first - they had made it.
The Nephites realized this and at one point in their history set up their economy based on grain so that they could always remember, food = money = life.
Another neat thing that they and other groups throughout the scriptures would do was to offer sacrifice and burnt offerings to give thanks to God. Today in Elders Quorum we discussed the need to go the temple to give thanks, not just because we have to or we want a question answered. I like this idea.
P.S. Here is one pot of this year's applesauce. This is about thirty apples and it turns into two and a half jars - talk about your high fiber. Also notice the Trader Joe's Peanut Butter - a food storage staple.
We have started focusing on getting our food storage together over the past couple years. I never wanted the clutter and I never like to buy stuff I am not using so I procrastinated, but it does bring great peace of mind. I just wish we'd started before grocery prices flew to the moon.
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed with the amount of your food storage and especially the canned peaches & applesauce. My aunt who was the food storage Queen always said that whenever she goes to the store she always buys two of whatever she needs (of course if you can afford to do that it is a great idea)Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteOops that was me that just posted that comment, sorry. Mom
ReplyDelete