Sunday, October 11, 2009

Super Nanny I Am Not

For one thing, I'm sure that Super Nanny would never put a baby in a box because it might stunt her development. But in all fairness, Julianna wanted to be in the box. Also, thank you Grandma King for her new clothes that came in the box.
Secondly, I am far too inconsistent and lenient to be super nanny. Oh yeah, I can be a great Mom, on top of things, waking up and getting right to the heart of mothering, doling out love and discipline in balanced amounts. But then the children wake up.
However, I have been inspired lately by watching episodes of Super Nanny. (Thank you Hulu.com) Many of the issues that the featured families deal with are my own, albeit presented with greater intensity on TV. And I love Jo, the famed Super Nanny. She can get away with giving people the straight talk because she does so out of a true desire to help. And help she does. As I see her coach parents to do better I become empowered - I can do better! Seriously, if you have kids, watch the show.

For my Relief Society book club, we are reading The Freedom Factor, by Gerald Lund (Of Work and Glory fame). No disrespect meant to Brother Lund, but I can't say I recommend the book. Lund has good ideas and can spin a fun story with message. I just get tired of being told the story, not shown it. I think its hard to say what makes an author good, but you sure know one with you read their work. A good book will be engaging, thought provoking, and be peopled with characters so real that you actually care about them. How would you describe a good book?

- Shelly

1 comment:

  1. Every kids should be put in a box every time a box arrives. I don't care what super nany has to say about it. She scares me. I think she does help people but it is also very different to parent a child 24/7 for 18 years.

    As for good books, I read The Work and the Glory and loved learning some church history in a fun way, especially since it was right before I went to serve in Palmyra and Fayette but Lund is not the best write. I agree with you there. A great author has to be able to make you feel real emotions.

    ReplyDelete