Isaiah didn't seem to mind this, and Julianna wondered why she didn't get to wear her swimsuit too. Maybe in a year or two.
Anyways, as I continue to fervently study child development my children are becoming more interesting to me (which Shelly thinks is nice). I was considering putting Isaiah into a charter school next year which I had assumed would be better and provide him with excellent education opportunities, but upon talking to my professor I decided otherwise.
Across the country recesses are being cut down and our current Presidential Administration is talking about extending school hours to be in better competition with foreign countries. Hmm . . . like Japan where the suicide rates are extremely high perhaps?
The early years of life - including much of elementary school, should be focused more on how to learn and the joy of learning rather then cramming heads with info. Part of this includes allowing and fostering play. Sometimes parents worry if a class is too fun then the kids are not learning something. Kindergarten expects that you know how to spell your name before you get there as if somehow you would never figure this out unless it happened before then.
However, contrary to common belief, you can skip buying that leap frog or computer program for your preschool kids because who cares if they will learn how to read faster than the others - because it doesn't make any difference. By second grade it's all a wash. Rather we should be focused more on how to learn than what to learn. Additionally, children need to learn through playing. They need to pour things out and stack things and make messes - that is how they learn. Environments should be set up to support a child's intrinsic ability to learn (can you say Montessori?).
Its up to us as parents to provide our children with that balance of learning through play and academics. We all want our kids to be successful in school. But what really want is for them to be successful in life. Funny, but it all starts with play - like wearing swimsuit on a walk to school.
- written by Jim & Shelly
Jimmie & Shelly,
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely correct.....A+
BK
If they lengthen the school day I guess that is when I will have to start homeschooling, if they even still allow me that option at that point.
ReplyDeleteIt is crazy how much kids know by Kindergarten now. I thought Alyssa was brilliant because she could write all her letters and was starting to read by her first day of Kindergarten and then I arrived to find out there were kids reading chapter books already.
I love Montessori. I wanted to send my kids to preschool there but it was three times as much as I pay for preschool. I do send them to a play based preschool though which I love.
Oh, and I love Malachi walking to school in a swimsuit...as long as it was warm out. Too cute!
No kidding - we've never been able to afford a Montessori school for our kids. At least kids can play for free. The pictures were from a couple of weeks ago when we were enjoying an Indian Summer. Now the frost has come and Malachi is a little annoyed that we won't let him play outside without getting dressed first. - Shelly
ReplyDeleteI love this post! It is hard as a parent not to compare my seemingly "average" kids to the "smart kids." But I think making kids learn too much too early steals their childhood away. Having fun is definitely the way to go.
ReplyDelete