Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Ahh . . . the kids are all asleep. We've had a weekend without Jim and, though it wasn't so bad I don't advocate a repeat. I just miss my husband. 
Jim left flew out to California to see his sister be sealed to her husband. Hurray! Such a wonderful miracle. I'm glad he was able to be there for that and I'm glad he's coming home tomorrow. 
Seriously, our first Logan winter has been rather mild. We've had weeks of thaw so now we can find many of the toys the kids lost in our backyard last fall. But it's supposed to snow again this week. We've had so little of it that shoveling is still a novelty. 
Now, I know I'm smart, but I recently had an epiphany concerning literature choices: I really just want to have fun and Jim wants to learn something. Jim is currently reading "The Kite Runner" and I just finished a cute murder mystery by M. C. Beaton. We love to discuss our reading - mine consisted of reading a funny passage with a Scottish accent - I can do one passible well if you catch me on a good day. And then Jim proceeded to tell me all about "The Kite Runner" and the challenges and observations of the main character growing up in Afghanistan with a loyal servant and a sadistic classmate. Seriously, its fascinating. However, his book is far more disturbing than my murder mystery. I've had to ask Jim to find someone else to discuss certain books with because there are just some things I don't enjoy contemplating. There could be a reason (besides his desired career path) that Jim is getting his doctorate and I am not.
Baby Julianna (6 months) is adorable, even when she grabs those little hairs on the back of my neck. She loves to talk, roll, suck on her hands, and stick out her tongue. She's earned the moniker Lizard Baby. Much to my chagrin, she learned to knock over the trash today. Think I can get her to be content with her playpen?
Malachi (three next month) loves to hug, jump, sing, and eat candy. I can often satisfy him with fruit, but its a daily battle. He loves his nursery class at church and his teachers say he is a sweet, quiet boy. Hmm. Really? They did say that when they were blowing bubbles, he stood there watching them, and finally said "Bubbles are funny." He is such a dear and a possessor of passionate emotions. Today when his popsicle fell, it was a major tragedy. When he found a piece of candy, the world was a glorious place. Luckily for me, it was clean, which is more than I can say for the snow he was eating.
Isaiah believes himself to be the biggest Ben 10 fan in the world. He is adamant that no one else has the right to rent Ben 10 episodes from the library. Honestly, that show is a little intense. I worried about him either mistreating his brother or having nightmares from the show. So we have certain criteria that must be met before checking out the next installment - he's got to be nice to his brother and stay in bed all night. Not perfect, but it works. I'm proud of his scholastic progress. He endures his daily journal and spelling, but excels in Math - he doesn't get that from me, but I can still be proud of it. He has also informed me that he will not dress up for the Valentine's Day Tea (more of a lemonade) party at school. His valentines will, of course be in a Ben 10 motif. 
Our kitty, Figaro was finally fixed this week. Poor guy. He's been depressed ever sense. He's loosing weight and doesn't take as much interest in the things he used to enjoy. You think I'm joking, but I hear that's common after the "big change." Maybe I'll have to open a can of tuna or make him a new toy, anything to help him realize life is still worth living even if he can't . . . you know.  Maybe he should join a support group.
Hey, if you read this, I love to hear your comments. Its always nice to know I'm not talking to the wall. Its amazing how much I think of my family and friends. I hope you all are well.
Love,
Shelly

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad you guys are blogging. I am reading The Kite Runner right now too. Anyhow, the kids are cute and I am loving having the blogging world to keep me connected to all the people I can't seem to find time to keep in contact with so keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so nice to have Jimmie with us on our wonderful day!! It was perfect. We wished you could have come!! I posted some pictures on my blog thingy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was from Melissa actually!! But Im sure Brandon feels the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's up guys (it's Valerie). Your kids are so cute and sound like a lot of fun. I am going to have to google Ben 10 because I have never heard of it and now I am curious. I read the Kite Runner and thought it was a great story, but also disturbing as you mentioned. Anyway, just wanted to comment so you would know I was reading. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you have a blog! I think I'd love to hear about your favorite books--I'm sure we'd like similar ones. I'm with you--I just want to have fun when I read. Leave the heavy stuff to the Ph.D.s!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for letting Jim come down to Melissa's sealing--we missed you and the kids. Loved hearing the story behind that unique watch that Isaiah sported in the picture and knew it had to be an impressive one. And of course Figaro isn't the same--poor guy. I'm especially thrilled to see that one of my grandchildren inherited something from me...the TONGUE...she'll be able to show off in so many unique ways like touching the bottom of her chin and the tip of her nose, and of course it's always impressive when you are mad at someone and just do the obvious--stick out your tongue. Other than that, if you're not an alien, I'm not sure what the purpose of the "lizard tongue" is. She is adorable. I love all the pictures of the children and you and Jim. I definitely have the best looking and probably most intelligent grandchildren without a doubt.

    ReplyDelete